Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Teaching vs Coaching

This wahine born and raised in Hawaii was not able to swim until she was 36 years old & living in Seattle. Sure, I had PLENTY of lessons through the YMCA and community center pools but I still could not swim a lap in the pool. One day my friends Bonnie and Judith had this crazy notion that the three of us would register for the Danskin Triathlon. Major detail, I had 5 months to learn to swim. And this is when my dear friend Judith began coaching me. She saw that I had the knowledge and skills and believed that I would be able to put it all together someday. And yes, I completed the triathlon with a very slow time for the swim portion but hey, I finished!

For the 2010 Danskin triathlon, I will be working with a swim coach to help me overcome my fear of open and cold water swimming. I know it will happen with the right coaching.

No comments:

Post a Comment