Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Learning to swim as an adult

I was born and raised in Hawaii and lived just 2 miles away from the beach.  However, I never learned to swim and the great fear of swimming continued.  Fast forward many years and as an adult I took MANY swim lesson from classes at the YMCA or local community center pools.  It was frustrating and I was embarrased that at "my age" I still could not swim.   I just could never combine breathing, kicking and stroking together.  Finally at age 36 with the help of an excellent swimmer and friend, it all came together and I completed the Danskin sprint triathlon.  Then years later, I worked one on one with a swim coach to learn to swim more efficiently. This opened up a world of fun and interesting experiences of snorkeling in tropical waters. Everytime I'm swimming in a relaxed state, I give thanks to Judith and Denise who enabled me to enjoy the activity. 

No comments:

Post a Comment