Monday, February 22, 2016

Practice Till You Puke



Sage advice given by my dear husband.  Of course, you need a little context.  I really learned how to ride a 10-speed bike when I was in my 30's.  Daunting to learn something many of you have been doing as naturally as walking.  I finally mastered the art of balancing on 2 skinny tires while pedaling, shifting and steering.  But then there was the issue of drinking while riding with a group on longer rides.  Taking one hand off the handle bars and reaching down the bike frame for my water bottle was super challenging for me.  As I whined about this to my husband, he said that I needed to keep practicing that action until I puked.  He did not mean literally that I should puke but that through repetition I would master that skill.  I still remind myself to "practice till I puke" because to become proficient at a new skill, it sometimes takes time and practice. 

No comments:

Post a Comment